I Did a Thing, is it a Good Thing ?

By now you must know I’m really in to using things in different ways than they are intended.

It seems that I’ve done that again, having setup an account on groups.io with the intention of moving some of my mailman based lists, because my beloved DreamHost isn’t going to be upgrading it to fix deliverability issues.

What ended up happening is when I created the account, I realised that I can have subgroups, amazing things like a list in a list.

Then I started to use the extras, databases, files, photos, hashtags, like I went cray cray.

Then I realised that I accidentally made a decent BBS mirror, since I stopped using the web front end, the BBS site has been served from the Gopher server at ec.je.

I updated the tagline in QWK to include my new work, which you can view at mmn.groups.io.

Question is, have I done the right thing and does this follow in to the BBS’s ethos ?

There is also another thing that has come up, does the BBS need to be renamed since I now have a seperate business unit of a very same name on the old BBS domain.

Answers in the comments or via the group, I’m game all the same.

Advertisements

I’ve Slapped a New Modem On

Tonight after not being able to sleep without urgently finding a modem that I’ve been putting off for weeks to do, I finally did it.

Since the BBS has come in house, I’ve not really got the modem side up. Even though I have a fully functional Vonage line for just that.

I bet you haven’t seen COM1 in a while

But now it’s got to be tested, and as you can imagine the calls aren’t exactly rolling in. Understandably here in France, the fixed line is truely dead, we’re all kinds of VoIP and no fixed connections now.

If there is anybody in Canada or the US willing (to be fair, actually able to) dial in and report back, I would be forever in debt.

Also, it’s running at 2400 so it’s pretty old school slow – (416) 548-4117

Smells Like The 80s

In a fit of getting my shit together, this evening I started to clear out the mess that is my un-used wardrobe, since it’s full of junk.

I managed to whittle down the boxes to four from 10 and a few clothes that I probably need to chuck along with a lot of carrier bags.

However, I did hit one of my game boxes, and boy does it smell special. It’s my tapes and amiga disks, genuinely they have a special smell of the past, it’s amazing to get my hands on these things that were well used back in the day, like a modern artifact.

When I was a kid, I didn’t have a tape drive, we only had a disk drive, so I missed somewhat out on this occasion.

The box art is an art of it’s own

But as I start to get everything in order now, I really look forward to getting this working and getting to try them all out.

My second box is going to be tomorrow, followed by re-arranging the shelving and my games desk below the télé.

FIXED : BBS Offline – Unplanned (10/03)

The BBS is back online and I fixed the file lock on msg0.dat causing General on DOVE-Net to become unreadable.

Everything is now running off of the networked drive with 500 GB of space, which is great as I can now start tidying up Disque 1 without shit getting real.

Now that the minor details are out of the way, following on from my last update on this topic, I present Scott Evans.

proof of concept

BBS Offline – Unplanned (10/03)

I’ve had to take the BBS offline as there seems to be an issue reading off of a network drive, so I rebooted the machine.

But while I’m here, I’m copying the message base on to the new hard drive from the old network drive. I wasn’t planning to do this, but it seems like a good idea since space on Disque 1 is a bit tight and the message base is in the gigabytes.

The BBS should be down for a good half hour, may be a bit longer.

edit : I found a mega file lock issue, so just saying this could take a lot longer.

proof of work

BBS Maintenance Today

I’m going to take down the BBS this afternoon for a bit of maintenance, moving the data files and rearranging the filing system off the machine it’s hosted on to a network drive.

A new 500 GB SATA disk drive

Hopefully there shouldn’t be too many issues with the data files being off the system, but it’ll make it easier to swap over the system to a virtual box in case anything goes wrong with the Frankenserver currently running the system.