I’ve completed the BBS maintenance right now, all is back in working order.
I’m going to take down the BBS this afternoon for a bit of maintenance, moving the data files and rearranging the filing system off the machine it’s hosted on to a network drive.
Hopefully there shouldn’t be too many issues with the data files being off the system, but it’ll make it easier to swap over the system to a virtual box in case anything goes wrong with the Frankenserver currently running the system.
I’ve been working questionably not that hard on a few things, mainly getting the images for a few of my managed wordpress sites serving from a cdn and off loading the images on to an S3 compatable service to take the load off of the VPS I’m using.
So far so good.
But the bigger thing is getting back in to using Piwigo for my photos, so I can just cut the connection with Google on that end.
Right now, I have to download everything and sift through it before uploading them to the Photo Dump. When that is likely to happen, I do not know.
It’s been a while since I wanted to give a Swedish web host, Binero, a try.
Seeing as when I tried to mirror back the site on to DreamHost, I still had the Site Not Found error, I figured why not have a trial run. Since the monthly cost of an account is about 7€ and I’m looking to keep this site relatively secure and sequestered, since all dis data it has, it seemed like a good opportunity.
So I pulled the site off the cPanel account I was keeping it active on, and I brought it over to Binero.
It took a bit of getting used to, since their platform isn’t really what I’ve come across before but it’s interesting how you can decide whether or not you want an account hosted on Linux or Windows without having your entire account on either side of the fence.
This might be useful down the road for me, so we’ll see how this site ticks along.
So far no real issues, the account was set up easily, managed to figure my way around the system and generally it plays well with CloudFlare.
Anyways, in other general news, I managed to painfully update my FatBit. I was a bit perplexed to find a new icon that I now can’t get rid of, thanks hipsters.Lire la suite de « lj.gl is Back in Europe »
So something went wrong at DreamHost and my site became missing.
Unfortunately, the repair to it was taking sometime and quite frankly I am a bit impatient, so in the end, I got set-up with MMN Eco Web Hosting to get things back up.
Thankfully it seems to be working rather well now.
Nothing I hate more than a FitBit issue, the thing is they are regular and their hardware along side with their software is a total mess. We’re talking Britney dropping the baby, while just above Michael Jackson dangles Blanket over the railing mess.
For some abstract reason, my FitBit Ionic has decided not to synchronise for four days, although randomly was nice enough to send my steps for just this morning and nothing else.
And there has been an update waiting for a while now, I get tetchy when these things come out since the last one nearly bricked my 350€ watch.
But since the only way to fix this problem is delete the association, delete the FitBit app, delete all data on said FitBit and repeat this until eventually something sticks, I figured I might as well risk it.
Right now the job is in progress, 30 minutes for 6% download. Great start FitBit.
If you’re thinking of buying one of these for the notifications and the usefulness, you might as well just not. Notifs barely work at the best of times, and if you don’t believe me, when the FitBit community site actually works (#can’tseeitwedon’thaveaproblem), you can see it for yourself in the irate postings.
On top of the software being a total shit show, the hardware is totally ugh. If you own a FitBit be prepared to replace the watch straps every 6 months, because what you’ve bought is an expensive turd, and the turd gold coloured spray is a good 50€ each run.
Also good spot, this rant is after I’ve been doing this shit since 4h and I’m tired.
Seeing as I never reboot my laptop masquerading as a server, I may have forgot the password to unencrypt the hard drive.
But all is now good since I had the change the setup of the system, so not all bad news you see.
The might Google decided to hard shutdown my VM instance for the BBS, unsurprisingly it corrupted a whole load of things on the system.
After spending far too much time fixing it, it’s all back workinging again and one can indeed login at your pleasure.
Ok, so I wrote about moving the ec.je wordpress installation over to a new server, well joke is on me, since I’ve now officially moved my website on to a Gopher server only a few metres from my bed.
Because not everybody is in to what I am, you can rest assured that there is a web interface.
After a bit of a go on my own terms using my own server, it’s been a good run with the server from DigitalOcean but since my servers on there have become exclusively for business usage.
The problem with that, is I have to hand the account over to myself, the business and justify the business expense.
So because bureaucracy is as it is, I have to seperate the personal server from the bank of business ones. And because my DreamHost account is personal, I started up a DreamHost VPS for this site and EC.JE.
During this week, I’ve got to do the manual part, setting it all up, getting the plugins ready and moving the content. At least the images are still hosted on a CDN service.