In my endless quest to go full on secure, move away from the GMail, AOL Mail (I genuinely still have my AOL account, I just don’t use it like a sane human being in 2019) and they Yahoos, I weighed up my options last night and I went for it.
I was aiming to use Tutanota, but unfortunately for now it doesn’t have DKIM for custom domains and any ability to import old emails. The old email thing is really quite important for me as I tend to drop an email account and get screwed by not having an email from 2005. No jokes.
After deciding my needs, I in the end, went to ProtonMail, it’s more on the expensive side of what I wanted to spend since after balancing out what domains I was bringing, how many and the amount of aliases/users I needed, I chose the Visionary plan.
I was able to bring over my mmn.on.ca email address (my public PGP key is here) and the majority of my short domain addresses quickly, but the real sticking point is ec.je. The problem with this domain is, unsurprisingly Google. I use my account there for everything, my Google Account, Play Store, etc. I’m dreading the switch over process to it taking my business domain over and what kind of drama that could possibly ensue.
I never really had a true plan for AX.PE, like really I did not. I’ve been doing things with it for a while now but nothing of real interest.
It seems now that I have found a little pet project for it, I discovered Known. Having read up about it, and being particularly interested in the social media sharing part (since I won’t have to be stuck in the Facebook endless loop), I decided to go for it.
Which severely changes the tone of this particular post, if I can figure out how to get it to communicate with the social networks, then it’ll be a good thing. If I can’t then, really it won’t replace what’s already happening here. WordPress does all the graft and I don’t need to Tweet.
It is quite light weight on the eyes, so I’ll still give it a play around and see what happens.
I have managed to do two things in the last twenty four hours that I have been wanting to do forevers.
The first being, after many years of wanting to run my own version of the LiveJournal code, I finally got my shit together to do so. Granted, since LiveJournal has since dropped off the open source circuit, it’s a Dreamwidth install. But it’s forked off LiveJournal’s code.